On this page
- Bilateral relations
- Trade relations
- Partnerships and organizations
- Canada-Slovakia fact sheet
Canada and Slovakia enjoy excellent bilateral relations, largely thanks to Canada’s sheltering of Czechoslovak political refugees in 1948 and 1968, steadfast support for dissidents throughout the Communist period, and the strengthening of Canada-Slovakia personal and family ties since 1989. The community of about 65,000 Canadians of Slovak heritage is a link that enhances ties between the two countries.
Canada is represented in Slovakia by the Embassy of Canada in Bratislava. Slovakia is represented in Canada by an embassy in Ottawa. Slovakia also has consulates in Calgary, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg.
The Canada-Slovakia bilateral commercial relationship has been extremely resilient in recent years. Slovakia has been one of the top economic performers in the European Union, and the economic fundamentals remain strong. Bilateral merchandise trade between Canada and Slovakia reached $830 million in 2021, with Canadian exports to Slovakia accounting for $44 million, and Slovak exports to Canada increasing to $786 million.
Canada was the first to ratify Slovakia’s membership in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). Since July 2018, Slovakia has been deploying up to 152 soldiers to the NATO enhanced Forward Presence battle group in the Canada-led sector in Latvia. We have also worked together in peacekeeping missions, including in Afghanistan and in the former Yugoslavia.
Partnerships and organizations
To develop effective responses to today’s most pressing global challenges, Canada and Slovakia work closely in multilateral fora, such as:
- European Union (EU)
- La Francophonie
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
- International Criminal Court (ICC)
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
- Open Government Partnership (OGP)
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)
- The Pacific Alliance
- United Nations (UN)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- World Trade Organization (WTO)
Report a problem on this page
- Date Modified: